Friday, November 20, 2009

free time

I've really been enjoying the extra time at home. When we first moved here, I didn't know what to do with myself, and honestly, ended up watching a lot of TV in my pj's. But, I've finally gotten over that slump and have gotten busy. I realized that with this extra time, I could finally do some things I've either put off (organizing, correspondence, etc.), or complained that I didn't have enough time to do (cook, have people over, etc.). I've also been able to do more for Justin, which makes me feel useful. The house is cleaner, the laundry basket isn't running over, and- get ready for this one- I'm cooking every week! I've also recently discovered couponing, went to an awesome class about it, and that is going to make a big difference in our budget. These were my best deals this week at Publix:

an entire Sara Lee pumpkin cheesecake=$1.79
Mt. Olive pickles=$.65 per pack
Advil=$1.27 for a 200ct
2 packages of Philadelphia cream cheese=$0.00
2 boxes of Uncle Ben's Long Grain/Wild Rice=$0.00
2 tubs of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter=$.14
Viva paper towels=$0.00


Ok, that's a brag. But I'm just really excited!


Once in college, for KY history, I did a ten-page paper on Elizabeth Cox Underwood, a KY senator's wife during the Civil War era. She was a Proverbs 31 woman to the core. While her husband was away in Washington, she would keep and balance their budget to the half-cent, make her children keep journals documenting what they learned everyday (if nothing, they would write that it was a wasted day), and would take in travelers (including slaves) off the road to feed and provide clothing. She was a true steward of the gifts God has given us. I am no Elizabeth Cox Underwood, or Proverbs 31 woman, but that is something to strive towards...although finding slaves off the street to clothe will be difficult (I don't know how to sow.) And even though I plan to go back to work full-time when the opportunity is provided, I'm so thankful for these couple of months I've had to practice keeping a home. Hopefully going back to work full-time will be a lot easier than before with this practice time under my belt. Our lives have been a lot calmer and more focused on what they should be because our home-life is in order. That's my official Thanksgiving-this-is-what-I'm thankful-for-this-year: a tranquil home life.


And with that officially stated for the year, my mind is already on the holidays. I LOVE "the holidays!" I've decided to wrap all of our Christmas gifts this year in newspaper. You may say that's tacky, but oh, friend you would be wrong. It's cheap, it's good for the environment, and it's so cute! And if Real Simple approves it, I am in:

I've also purchased my Christmas CD of the year. I try to limit myself to one per year. And, yes, I'm already listening to it. So there. It's Sugarland's new album "Green and Gold." It is not a disappointment, as some have been in the past. Some people don't really care for Jennifer Nettles because her voice is so crazy, but I think she is just fun. I love artists who just completely let go when they sing.

I'm really looking forward to seeing family and friends over the holidays. We just got back from Dothan for Caroline's second birthday and had a great time. We played Mr. Potato Head with Caroline, went to the National Peanut Festival, and rode an elephant. Yup, you heard that right. Pics are on Facebook. I would put some on here, but adding pictures on Blogspot is absolutely infuriating. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I've been listening to my Christmas cd for a while now...it just makes me smile! :)

Love the couponing update! You're doing a great job....I think you're right that working full time will be easier when you've had some down time and gotten things in order.

Can't wait to see you! Love you!