Friday, January 1, 2010

Recap of Dec 09

{Recap}

*Justin turned the big 2-5 and the Counsells and Brett and Janna helped us celebrate a little bit. He received an Alabama cornhole game and a Funfetti cake (his choice) that said "RTR" in blue icing. Wonder what he's laughing about...

*I wrapped most of my Christmas gifts with newspaper, as promised. Some in comics, some in pieces of sports page, Christmassy pictures, or TV show listings- whatever I thought fit the person. This was my best work- a gift for Courtney. Who, I found out later hates the movie "A Christmas Story." But, she liked the wrapping. I really liked doing this for my gifts this year. Not only did I save money and the earth (single-handedly), but enjoyed watching other people enjoy what I wrapped their gifts in. I'm already finding myself looking for things to use for next year...
*Our stockings were hung by the chimney with care for Christmas festivities in our first house. Justin and I had "Christmas" (exchanged gifts) Wednesday night after Bible study at church. Justin received the new Michael Buble CD from Santa in his stocking. Isn't Santa thoughtful for giving him something that I can enjoy too?
*Classic hold-the-camera-out-and-take-it-yourself-picture in front of the top hat-clad tree.
*We also made a quick trip to BG to visit with Justin's family. I felt this picture captured the weekend. I'm making that face because we tried to take the picture a few times and we got the same results from Cline and Grafton. They were a little excited about Christmas. Grafton got a giant stuffed puppy he named Harry the Dirty Dog with little hesitation and Cline got something she's been wanting for quite a while...It was a wonderful weekend.


*We also enjoyed Christmas in Birmingham. Caroline loved playing with her new play shopping cart, and we loved playing with her. Last year I told Mom that we didn't need a "Christmas morning" anymore, and I might have been wrong about that. Who doesn't love getting together with family and opening presents? I was like a little kid this year- counting down the days! I will make an effort not to get too old for Christmas ever again. Sidenote: the only picture I got of that long weekend was one of all of us in our pajamas on Christmas morning, and the Internet is just not ready for that. We also got to see lots of extended family that weekend, which are always fun and cherished good times.

*Since the Christmas holiday, our home has gone into a tailspin- I got a teaching job starting...Monday! I will be teaching fourth grade at Prattville Elementary and couldn't be more excited to be in the classroom again. Fractions, motion, Civil War...here I come! A little different from Kindergarten, yes, but I'm sure it will be a good experience. I'm working on setting up my classroom, and taking every single little thing learned from CTE with me! Wish me luck!


{Summing it up}

I really enjoyed this past December. Even though there was (as always) an abundance of superficiality in it, there was also an abundance of…abundance. There was an abundance of special memories and moments with friends and family, an abundance of good things to see and do and eat and enjoy; an abundance of nostalgia, gratitude, giving, reflection, and an abundance of new determination to attempt to deserve even the smallest portion of any of it. God has given us so much in this life that has quantity and quality- material or not. Praise God for sending His Son so that we "may have life, and have it abundantly" (John 10:10)!
Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Happy New Year!

For any of Karen's blog readers who would like to see a pic of all of us on Christmas morning in our pj's, head on over to my blog. I posted one. :) Before I read this, I promise!

OK, I don't like "A Christmas Story", but the wrapping of my gift was great and very pretty. It takes talent to make newspaper look that good.

Love you!

moodyfamily said...

Somehow I didn't know you had a blog but I am happy I stumbled across it on FB. I loved reading your December post! I actually giggled out loud a couple of times. You're so fun. I look forward to reading another post soon. Love you!

Anonymous said...

hi, karen...

i doubt you remember me (i met you a couple of times when visiting erin lanphear and jennifer lanning in bowling green), but erin told me that i should check out your blog because it was THAT good. i just neglected to answer six phone calls in my office because i was too enthralled by your technique for wrapping christmas gifts.

enjoy alabama! it is, after all, america's best kept secret.

Pat Moon said...

Hello Karen,
Your mom mentioned your blog and asked if I had read it. So on this cloudy Saturday, after cooking my first deer meat, which Ronnie said is called venison, not deer meat,...well after not throwing up after cooking my first deer meat with a bandana across my face helping to deflect the smell, I decided I would sit down and just idle. (What a run-on sentence) But anyway, I throrougly enjoyed your blog and Padgett Place was a happy place to visit. Keep writing!