Friday, September 11, 2009


Unpacking is tedious. So is not having air conditioning. Yup. Alabama. Late summer. No air. Oh well. We're still excited about the new house, despite the sweltering heat (which will be fixed for free once we can actually meet the handyman at the house sometime between 8:00 AM and next Easter). And, on another positive note, we have Internet as of tonight! Life is pretty good.

Moving to Prattville has made me think about friends quite a bit. We left a lot of dear friends in BG and have begun to make some soon-to-be dear friends here. But, overall, when you don't see familiar faces at work, don't run into them at Wal-Mart, and are not sure exactly who you are going to hang out with on Friday night, you truly appreciate your old friendships. Things can get pretty lonely. I have found myself finding comfort in the weirdest things, and have been keeping a mental list of what surprising "old friends" that have accompanied me on this move:

1. All the Way- Celine Dion
My ipod ("Lil Green") has finally bit the dust after 5+ great years, so I've been diving into some old CDs. Why, why, why did I ever stop listening to Celine Dion?? Reasons DO NOT include the fact that she's crazy or that her songs are ridiculous. I pop in "Because You Loved Me" or "My Heart Will Go On," and I am one cool 90's middle schooler.

2. 3 curly iron candle holders (see pic above)
Unwrapping all of our belongings after a month of storage gave a me a little guilty feeling because you are NOT supposed to find comfort in your belongings. But, these candle holders have followed me to Prattville from three different previous dwellings. I literally said, "Hi, old friends!" when I unwrapped them. I think Randi gave them to me after rental dwelling #2. Several of my belongings are left-over things from my years living with my darling roommates. And that, for what ever reason, brings me comfort and makes me smile.

3. Mornings with Brant
Justin says I get too attached to radio personalities. It might be true. As soon as I discovered that I could listen to Brant, Nikki, and Pablo in the mornings on Way FM, just as I did every morning on my way to work in BG, I felt like I had old friends in the car with me. Ok, I do get too attached to radio personalities. But if you're going to judge, then at least judge the Celine Dion thing. I deserve that one.

4. a framed black and white of my kindergarten class
Seeing those 22 sweet, smiling faces peeking out at me from crumply newspaper made my day. It also reminded me of quickly things change. A few months ago we were all reading out of "Bubba the Bear's" journal on the ABC carpet and in the blink of an eye, I'm in another state and they are in a different grade.

That's where the mental list ends for now. Thank you for indulging my sentimental mood. I've been in this mood for a while and it'll probably stay until I get a little more acclimated to where I am now. In the meantime, we are having a good time getting to know the sweet folks at Prattmont church. State Farm has willingly accepted me back into its fold. We found a fabulous pizza place, bowling alley (no joke), and flea market/antique mall. And, Justin is now an Auburn fan (it was a very natural, repentant transition).

War Eagle and go Prattville Lions! And how are you?

5 comments:

Artesian City Janna said...

Oh dear, sweet Karen. How I wish I could reminisce upon change in my life and be able to find comfort in all of it. I pray being around you more will instill a more positive and thankful spirit within me. I agree it's strange to not have those familiar faces everywhere you go. Every time I move somewhere new, I see my old friends walking down the sidewalk, driving by in their cars, or pushing a grocery cart at Walmart... even though they're in another state:) It take time, but, Prattmont is full of kind hearts and open arms, which is a very comforting feeling. Plus, you've got Justin, which, I hope is a good thing, seeing how you're married to him and now you're stuck w/ him in a newly bought house of your very own. I'm glad you talked about having no AC in your blog, though. That makes much more sense now. I didn't want to judge :) but I was concerned that maybe you and Justin liked the tropical temperature feel in the privacy of your own home. I also will not judge on the Celine tunes. How I relish in the moment I was 11 years old and carefree, dancing to "Because You Love Me" on cassette tape. Oh Celine. Truly though, it's an understatement to say that Brett and I are excited that you and Justin have moved here and are at Prattmont. I know we can't meet up to the life you had in Bowling Green, but hopefully we can be some good competition :-P

Artesian City Janna said...

PS, I need to be taught how to use this blogspot thing. I'm almost as bad at it as when I tried Pleonast, and failed with flying colors.

Courtney said...

I know how you feel. I remember all those same feelings from when we moved here. For me, "starting over" and making a life in a new place with Aaron was very exciting, but leaving my hometown? VERY HARD. It does fade with time, but I still think, "I wonder if that's Lauren" every time I see a silver X-Terra. (She's not even driving that now!)

We're hoping we can see y'all soon for some real time, not just moving time. Although, I hate to say that the next time we may have that opportunity, it may not be the happiest of times. Anyway, we love you and we're GLAD you're in South AL!

laura said...

Finally, your readers were dying here, waiting for an update. I've been over-analyzing the moving/transition phase probably to death in my own life, so...I hear ya. I also remember you were my longest roommate, through lots of changes...and how we went through that FC to WKU change together, you were a good friend!

I guess we just need to catch up via phone instead of me writing a rambling public comment that is a one-sided conversation. Speaking of...I will call you back soon.

Is it weird that I kind of like how you are back at state farm? I like thinking of you in that familiar context. xoxo

Amanda Wise said...

Oh my goodness, I have just found great joy in reading your blog!!! I had to comment and let you know we have the same curly iron candle holders!!! They two have followed me to Prattville from another dwelling. How Sweet!!! Another commoness we share. Just had to add that note. Also Ruby is now Lilli Ann's favorite computer dog. She sat in my lap looking at your puppy and just touched the screen as to be petting her. She would look at the screen and look back at me and say "pup pup". Too cute!