Sunday, January 2, 2011

Flying Times

Wow, I am overdue for a post. By about a year. Whoops. Time flies when you're having fun I guess...and it also flies when you're not having fun. I've learned that this year. I think it's one of those secrets you discover as you get older. Not that I didn't have fun in 2010. Justin and I got to go to Disneyworld last spring, we traveled to the Mediterrenean this summer, and welcomed two new nephews into the world the same week in the fall. Now that's just fun. We also just got to spend the holidays with both of our families in St. Augustine and Birmingham. In addition to experiencing our first-ever Alabama White Christmas, Justin got an autographed picture of Lou Holtz and I got a "Team Coco" mug. Simply wonderful.

I've also had Justin home for almost 3 whole weeks- no commuting, studying, or stressing! Justin completed a successful first semester at Auburn and is on his way to becoming Ruby's personal veterinarian. (We keep telling her what a lucky dog she is!) Justin has really enjoyed vet school, although he probably owes Auburn's library rent money and our conversations on the phone have become about things like the complexity of one's kidneys. He makes me proud. Even if I really don't want to talk about my kidneys.

I was a lucky dog to keep my same teaching job from last year. Although, being a teacher is not easy. Point-blank. Somedays I fantasize about being a waitress. Or a tollbooth worker. I think I would be fantastic at both. But then I wouldn't see the 54 smallish faces everyday that think my lame jokes are hilarious and will sing along with anything that I make up for a lesson on double-digit multiplication. I would miss that. I got to take my students to see "Peter Pan" at the Shakespeare Festival. I ended up watching them more than I watched the show. Even the coolest of them were absolutely entranced by the mermaids, flying and fairy dust, pirates and Indians, and even the guy in the dog suit that played "Nana." It was awesome. I will hold onto that memory as I enter the next semester...tomorrow.

My official New Year's resolution is to be more of a giver. To let go of the things in life that have been tough these past few months, to let go of the things that discourage goodness and encourage excuses, to let go of the things out of my control that I allow to negatively mold me, and just give. Time, money, a listening ear...I need to be more available, more active, more attentive. I like New Years. There is nothing mystical or magical about them. But there is something nice about having an appointed time to figuratively shed your past woes and press on to become something better. Time flies whether you're having fun or not, but accepting that fact, pressing on, and making your short time here worthwhile to others and precious to our Father is all we can do. Happy 2011, folks!

4 comments:

LH said...

you are so wise. I miss you! I stole part of what you said and put it on my blog (in quotation marks) because it was so good. xoxo

moodyfamily said...

You know one thing I love about your posts? I almost always laugh out loud at some point. You are so cute. Keep those posts coming! Love you!

Unknown said...

"You are a good writer, Karen"
- unknown source.
But, in fact, you are an excellent writer. Reading this post just reminds how lucky we have been over the past few months. We've been able to cram a lot of good things in our life. I look forward to the January 2012 post when I can read about what all we've gotten into in 2011.

Anonymous said...

great post. the part about 'waitress/tollbooth worker/fantastic at both' was hilarious.

glad to see that you two are doing so well!

james